In the coming weeks I will present a new solo program that will be streamed twice from two wonderful locations. The program is titled ‘Doublespeak | Doublethink’ and features works from Jessie Marino, Stefan Beyer and Mirela Ivičević as well as two premieres, one by Wim Henderickx and the other from Michael Maierhof. It would be wonderful to ‘see’ you all there!
Doublespeak | Doublethink
Thomas R. Moore | Trombone
“You do not exist,” George Orwell 1984
In the iconic book, 1984, Orwell defines Doublethink as the ability to hold two contradictory thoughts in one’s head and to believe them both simultaneously. In this program we will walk the edge between two thoughts, doubling and negating the original, both the sound of the trombone and the physical performance itself. The soloist, Thomas Moore will take on a split personality, be pre-recorded, live-manipulated, duplicated and nullified.
- Marino, Jessie: Commitment :: Ritual :: BiiM (2011) for solo performer, lights and tape – 4′
- Beyer, Stefan: Strandung (2016, rev 2020) for trombone and electronics – 12’
- Maierhof, Michael: Splitting 53* (2016-18) for trombone, amplified splitter and tape – 9’
- Bark, Jan & Rabe, Folke: Ach Chamberlin (1965) tape – 6’
- Henderickx, Wim: Akasha*, from VOID (2020) for trombone/voice and live electronics – 10’
- Ivičević, Mirela: Orgy of References (2012, rev. 2019) for speaker/singer and live electronics – 8’
A small warning: This program acknowledges the existence of and explicitly refers to sexual acts. It may therefore not be appropriate for some people.